Main Purpose of the Job
To assist the manager in leading and managing the service through:
§ Leading good practice in guest support
§ Development and practice of Person Centred Plans
§ Peoples choices and Preferences
§ Respect for people as individuals
§ People’s presence and participation in the community
§ A positive image of people within the community
§ The need to maintain people’s welfare and safety
§ To assist the manager in leading good practice and developing excellence in guests support within a short break service.
§ To take the lead in dealing with emergency or complex situations which may arise in the absence of the manager?
§ To be responsible for undertaking Health and Safety and vehicle checks in accordance with agreed procedures.
§ Service planning and implementation
§ To support guests in undertaking activities both in the community and within the service upholding choice and developing new experiences.
§ To maintain records as required relative to people’s lives, service, medication and individual financial affairs.
§ To assist in the drawing up of risk assessments relating to individuals and the service in order to protect the health, safety and welfare of all, and to implement and contribute to the review of these.
§ To liaise with external parties carers and parents.
§ To directly line manage cook, domestic and support workers as required.
§ To assist the manager in the recruitment and development of the staff team, staff consultation processes, to be responsible for the deployment of staff through agreed rotas and staffing plans.
§ To undertake any other duties commensurate with the general level of responsibility of the job.
1. GCSE (or equivalent) standard of education – Desirable
2. Relevant qualification e.g. NVQ Promoting Independence/Care Level 3 essential
3. Mandatory courses i.e. First Aid, Moving and Handling (People Moving People), Fire Safety and Basic Food Hygiene - Desirable
1. A minimum of 2 years regular experience working with people with Learning Disabilities – Essential
2. Experience of staff supervision - Desirable
1. Ability to take initiative in dealing in dealing with emergencies or complex situations - Essential
2. Ability to communicate effectively and support people with learning disabilities in line with their personal plan - Essential
3. The ability to apply the principles of equal opportunities in support work – Essential
4. Ability to record information appropriately, write reports and undertake administrative tasks - Essential
5. Ability to motivate and supervise staff - Essential
6. A general awareness of health and safety issues - Essential
7. A minimum of one year’s driving experience and a full driving licence - Preffered
1. A commitment to equal opportunities - Essential
2. The ability to work on own initiative in a responsible way – Essential
3. The ability to work as part of a team - Essential
All staff are required to respect the confidentiality of all matters that they might learn in the course of their employment. All staff are expected to respect the requirements under the Data Protection Act 1998. All staff must ensure that they are aware of the responsibilities under the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974.
Email your CV to firstname.lastname@example.org